Location: Portland, Oregon
Duties: Design mechanical and automated systems and machines for food-packaging manufacturing facilities. Design and implement systems and processes using Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and Safety PLC programming, Control Panel Design and Construction, Computer Aided Design (CAD) software (Creo), Mathcad, Matlab, and Robotic software. Develop programs and wiring schematics using PLC and Collaborative Robots (Cobots). Develop test standards and techniques to record and improve product design. Perform engineering analyses and calculations such as tolerance, stress/strain, and thermal to develop new packaging thermoforming machines and revise and upgrade existing packaging designs to ensure final products meet system-level requirements and specifications. Manage Engineering group projects and daily reports. Communicate across multiple company divisions to provide method of gathering relevant project parameters during design process. Oversee and manage design data to ensure project parameters and project milestones have been met within defined timeline. Upon design completion, responsible for transfer of prototype to production product, including all first article verification. Responsible for creating timeline, budgets and corrective action for all new projects while collaborating with appropriate divisions. Evaluate possible designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, sustainability, operating condition effects, potential new applications, or necessity of modification. Research and develop new engineering project design, methods to effectively streamline production process. Create engineering specifications for designing, prototyping, and developing end of line packaging techniques. Lead and formally document concept generation, design alternatives selection, and design reviews. Work with third party contract manufacturing companies to procure quality parts including validating manufacturing processes and inspection methods. Ensure compliance with industry standards and regulations. Train and mentor 2-5 Entry Level Engineers.
Education: Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or closely related field (foreign equivalent acceptable)
Experience: 2 years of experience as an Engineer Intern (Mechanical), Mechanical Engineer, or similar position.
2 years of experience in each of the following:
- Conducting PLC and Safety PLC programming, Control Panel Design, and Construction;
- Performing Automation integration into current systems and process using ethernet Communication;
- Using programming logics to develop automation systems or similar experience in C++, Matlab, Visual basic and Mathcad;
- Developing integrated programs using Collaborative Robots (Cobots);
- Writing standards, reports and logging data using Microsoft office;
- Using CAD software such as solid works/Creo to create mechanical designs and structures;
- Researching potential problems and developing possible solutions pertaining to process challenges and inefficiencies;
1 year of experience in each of the following:
- Leading Mechanical Engineering teams (2-5) and operations.
All experience, skills, and requirements may be gained concurrently.